Christmas Tree Safety for Your Dog

Dog Safety Tips During the Holidays

Holidays are a fun time of the year for everyone in the household. However, the season is also rife with dangers for canines. You’ll want to consider dog safety tips during the holidays, so you don’t end up having to make an emergency trip to the veterinarian. 

Christmas Tree Safety and Your Dog 

The Christmas tree is the focal point of the season, but it can cause harm to your pet if you aren’t careful. Be sure to secure the tree so it doesn’t fall over if Fido brushes against it. Also, take the time to wrap the tree skirt around the tree’s base to keep your dog away from the tree water if you are using a live tree. The stagnant water can quickly become filled with bacteria which can lead to stomach upset if your dog drinks it. Also, avoid using any tree preservatives in the water which might prove toxic if ingested. 

Mistletoe, Holly, and Lilies are Toxic to Pets 

Yes, mistletoe and holly look fantastic, but both are dangerous if your dog ingests them. Your pet can experience nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Mistletoe can also lead to cardiovascular problems if ingested. Lilies might look fantastic as a centerpiece on the holiday table, but they are dangerous if ingested - with cats they can even cause rapid kidney failure. 

Say ‘No’ to Tinsel

Silver tinsel might look amazing on a holiday tree, but your dog will slurp it down like spaghetti. It can quickly obstruct the digestive tract which could require surgery to remove. Ideally, you should abstain from using tinsel on the holiday tree. 

Never Leave Lighted Candles Unattended

Candles are magical but if your pet brushes against the flame it could burn or ignite the dog’s fur leading to severe burns. Always put candles in an area that Fido cannot reach. Use an appropriate candle holder and make sure it is sitting on a flat surface, so it doesn’t accidentally tip over. 

Watch the Wires

Holiday lights look magical, but the wires are a temptation for a lot of dogs to chew. Try to put the electrical cords out of reach of your dog so they don’t chew the wires which can lead to electrical shock or burn the dog’s mouth. 

Ornaments and Glass

Sparkling ornaments are often made from glass. Sadly, the globes closely resemble a ball so your dog might be tempted to grab one of the ornaments for a game of fetch. When Fido clamps down on the delicate glass ball it can quickly shatter cutting the animal’s mouth. Ideally, you should abstain from glass ornaments to keep your dog safe during the holidays.

Food Dangers

Your pet is probably tempted by all the exciting holiday food choices, but ‘people’ food is not good for your pooch. Do not give Fido fatty or spicy foods. Never give your furry friend the turkey bones which can quickly lead to gastrointestinal obstruction. Try to keep a few doggy-safe special treats on hand for your furry friend so they are less likely to try to steal holiday foods that they are not supposed to ingest. 

Your dog can enjoy the holidays, but you’ll just need to take a few extra precautions to keep your buddy safe.

Back to blog


Thanks for reminding us about dog safety. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone at Doggy Kingdom!

Carol Booth

how much is the anti-anxiety bed cost from doggy kingdom

Kay Robillard

Thank you so much for all these tips and thinking of are fur babies…….

sherri Charles

Don’t forget the poinsetta plant as being unhealthy for dogs!

Helen Miles

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.