CBD Oil for Your Dog: Is it Safe?
One of the hottest herbal supplements to hit the naturopathic market in recent years is CBD (cannabidiol). Extracted from the cannabis plant, CBD is non-psychoactive and completely legal in most parts of the world. Not only are humans singing the praises of the herb for a variety of ailments, but pet owners are also turning to the potent cannabinoid for their four-legged friends. However, you are probably wondering about CBD oil (also referred to as hemp oil) for your dog. Is it safe? We will explore the answer to that question in this article.
What is CBD Oil?
CBD is one of the many natural cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant. Unlike delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which is the most common cannabinoid in marijuana, CBD has no psychoactive properties. In fact, most CBD products sold in the U.S. are derived from hemp and by-law must contain less than 0.3 percent THC. CBD oil is used for its reputed health benefits. You can purchase the supplement in the form of tinctures, edibles, and topicals for Fido.
Dog Health Problems and CBD
At this point, there is only anecdotal evidence that leads pet owners to believe that that CBD might be beneficial to dogs. Research is still being conducted. However, many theorize that the herb might help ease pain (such as neuropathic pain) and even control seizures. Many believe that CBD also holds promise in easing the following:
- Reduce inflammation
- Treat or prevent certain cardiac problems
- Relax and ease anxiety (such as fear of loud noises or travel)
- Act as an appetite stimulant
- Prevent some cancers
Currently, the AKC Canine Health Foundation (CHF) is carrying out studies with the Colorado State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Science to examine the potential of CBD to treat epilepsy in dogs.
Potential Side Effects of CBD
At this time, there is no concrete evidence of side effects in dogs but there is always the potential that some dogs might have a reaction to the herb. Ideally, to minimize the risks, you should only give Fido the correct suggested CBD dosage.
Potential side effects of CBD in dogs include:
- Dry mouth
- Increased thirst
- Lowered blood pressure
Things to Consider When Buying CBD for Dogs
If you decide to use CBD oil for your dog, then you’ll want to consider a few things before picking a brand and making a purchase.
Things to consider when buying CBD for dogs:
- Buy Organic: Make sure the product that you purchase for your canine is free of fungicides, pesticides, and solvents. Ideally, the brand should be certified organic by the USDA and use only non-GMO hemp to make their products.
- Cheaper is not Better: Yes, it’s common to try to save money but you should not skimp on CBD. A cheaper brand might contain harmful substances or have unwanted additives.
- Laboratory Testing: Any reputable CBD brand should provide third-party laboratory testing that clearly shows that their products contain no harmful substances. In addition, the analysis will show the percentages of cannabinoids and other additives in the produce.
CBD oil for your dog might prove beneficial but you should evaluate the pro and cons carefully. Prior to giving your dog hemp-based cannabinoid, you should consult with your pet’s veterinarian to make sure that you are making the right choice.