Five Toxic Foods You Should Not Feed Your Dog    – Doggykingdom

🎄 MEGA XMAS SALE UP TO 80% OFF 🎄

Five Toxic Foods You Should Not Feed Your Dog 

 

Dogs are beloved members of the family. Most pet owners see their dog as almost childlike and believe that they can give the pooch a few table scraps. They think that if the food is okay for a human to enjoy then the dog can also partake. However, this is not necessarily true. Certain human foods are toxic, and you should not feed them to your dog. 

In this article, we will explore the top five toxic foods you should not feed your dog. Certain fatty, oily human foods can quickly lead to digestive upset in dogs and cause diarrhea or vomiting. 

 

1. Chocolate

Yes, most humans love to indulge in a sweet piece of chocolate on occasion, but the candy is toxic to dogs. A small bite might not adversely impact your pup but if your dog devours a large quantity of the substance they may experience:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Thirst
  • Increased body temperature
  • Seizures
  • Muscle tremors
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Abdominal pain
  • Death

 

Dark chocolate, such as baker’s chocolate, is extremely dangerous for dogs because it contains elevated levels of theobromine and caffeine which are both toxic to a dog. 

 

2. Grapes and raisins

Some dogs can safely eat grapes and raisins, but others will experience kidney failure. There is no way to know for certain how your dog will react to the substance. Some dogs will start vomiting if they consume a grape or raisin. If a dog consumes many grapes or raisins, then they could start to experience kidney failure within three to four days. Even if your dog does not experience kidney failure, the substance can still damage the dog’s kidney functions which will cause problems later in life. 

3. Raw bread dough

If your dog devours a large quantity of raw bread dough, then the warm environment of the dog’s intestinal tract will cause the yeast to grow and the dough to rise. As the dough increases in size, your dog will experience discomfort and pain. The large mass of dough can quickly lead to life-threatening gastrointestinal obstructions. 

4.  Alcohol 

Even a small amount of alcohol in syrups or drinks can poison your dog. The alcohol contains ethanol and beer contains hops which are both alcoholic intoxicants to your dog. After consuming alcohol your dog may experience:

  • Vomiting
  • Panting
  • Muscle tremors
  • Seizures
  • Restlessness
  • Increased body temperature
  • Death 

 

5.  Xylitol

Xylitol is a popular artificial sweetener that is found in some baked goods, gum, and sugar-free candies. It is also an additive in chewable vitamins, toothpaste, mouthwash, and cough drops. After a dog consumes xylitol, they can experience a sudden drop in thier blood sugar which can quickly lead to liver damage.  

Symptoms of xylitol poisoning include:

  •  
  • Poor coordination
  • Vomiting
  • Seizures.

A dog’s liver can sustain life-threatening damage within minutes to  hours of ingesting the toxin. 

Xylitol laden candy is extremely dangerous. A small piece of candy that contains the artificial sweetener can quickly kill a 10-pound dog. 

 

If you suspect that your dog has consumed any of the above toxic substances, please contact your veterinarian immediately. 


Leave a comment

Name .
.
Message .

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published